Jan 15 , 2021
Tags - Chronic Venous Insufficiency
Chronic Venous Insufficiency (CVI) is a condition where the valves present in the leg veins fail to function properly, blood flow from legs to the heart becomes challenging, and blood assembles (pools) in veins (which is called “Stasis”).
CVI is mostly seen in women more than men.
And, CVI has been diagnosed in 40% of the population in the United states (US).
Signs and Symptoms
The signs and symptoms of CVI include:
- Formation of ulcer
- Varicose veins
- Skin discolouration (hyperpigmentation)
- Leg pain
- Open sores
- Blood clots
Potential Complications and Considerations
Having a family member with CVI, varicose veins, blood clots, being pregnant, obesity, smoking, vein inflammation and not moving for a long period of time could increase the risk of getting CVI.
Treatments for CVI include
- Having medications (drugs) which could improve the flow in blood vessels
- Removing extra fluid from the body
- Reducing swelling and blood thinners to prevent blood clots.
Wearing compression socks and raising the legs could help with better blood flow and ease the pain.
In addition, it is advised that having CVI could damage the skin. So, you should maintain good skin hygiene.
In more complicated cases, CVI may require one of the following surgical procedures:
- Ablation: Destroying veins using chemicals or heat procedure.
- Sclerotherapy: Injecting a solution to the swollen vein.
- Phlebectomy: Removing the veins through tiny punctures in your skin.
- Laser Therapy: Using lasers to close the damaged veins.
- Stent: It's a mesh tube, placed to widen the vein.
- Litigation: Using incision in the skin, tie off the veins
- Veins Removal: Using other surgical procedures, repair or remove the veins.
CVI is diagnosed using X-ray, ultrasound, CT scan, MRI scan and blood tests.
Be advised that CVI is not life threatening. But, if it is untreated it could lead to chronic diseases.
To prevent CVI, exercise regularly, avoid wearing inappropriate shoes such as uncomfortable heels, avoid sitting or standing for a longer period of time, and have a healthy diet with a healthy body weight.
To learn more, get in touch with us today.
In the meantime, check our range of comfortable shoes.
You may also like: