Advantages and Disadvantages of Compression Socks & Stockings
Dec 16 , 2020
Tags - Compression Socks
Compression socks are used for compression therapy.
They apply moderate pressure on legs and ankles, boosting better flow of blood from legs to heart.
By doing so, compression socks can reduce the swelling and pain in legs and ankles. Hence, compression socks have been used vastly by people with health conditions, such as varicose veins, thrombosis, edema and lymphoedema.
Types of Compression Socks
There are different kinds of compression socks, such as
- calf compression leg sleeves,
- ankle length and
When wearing them, make sure they just comfortably lay on you (feel snug), not getting too tight or painful.
Please make sure that you do not wear compression socks while sleeping.
Compression stockings are designed for the same purpose.
But, they are mainly worn by women, especially during pregnancy.
Here, there are 3 kinds of compression Stockings:
- Graduated Compression Stockings,
- Anti-embolism stockings and
- Non Medical support Hosiery.
Advantages of Compression Socks
- restrict blood pooling in veins,
- aid with prevention of venous ulcers,
- reduce orthostatic hypotension,
- help to avoid formation of deep vein thrombosis in legs,
- reduce the pain provoked by varicose veins,
- boost lymphatic drainage and
- overturn venous hypertension.
Disadvantages of Compression Socks
Even though there are multiple advantages of using Compression socks, there are side effects too. If you are wearing unfit socks or allergic to the material, it could give skin changes.
- If not worn properly, compression socks could break the skin, damage the nerves and lead to an infection.
- For someone with Defective Arterial Flow, compression socks could aggravate ischemia (Ischemia is, poor blood supply to any part of the body, especially the heart), or induce oxygen deficiency in blood flow and loss of circulation.
- Sometimes, compression socks could be uncomfortable and make feet tinglish. In addition, compression socks may also induce pain in knee joints and give out corns and calluses in feet.
To learn more, get in touch with us today.
In the meantime, check our range of comfortable shoes.
You may also like: